We are pleased to announce that the call for papers for the CILIP CIG Conference has been extended. Please see below for further information and new dates:
Proposals for papers are invited for the Cataloguing and Indexing Group (CIG) Biennial Conference 2014, “Metadata : Making an Impact”, to be held at the University of Kent on 8th-10th September 2014.
With the rise of RDA, the development of BibFrame and the ever-increasing pressure on library budgets, traditional metadata is undergoing something of a transformation. New models are emerging as technologies change and the way we think about metadata is evolving as well. Moreover, good metadata provides much more than just tidy catalogue records; it underpins the entirety of a user’s experience and has the potential to help or hinder. So where next? What impact will these changes have? And how can this best be maximized in terms of ‘adding value’ to your organization? The 2014 conference aims to stimulate debate around the impact that metadata has, and can have, on cataloguers, cataloguing teams and institutions.
Themes: CIG welcomes proposals that cover, but are not confined to, the following topics:
- impact of metadata on your users
- impact of metadata on your REF
- impact of metadata on your organisation
- impact of metadata on your career
- impact of metadata on standards
In addition, we welcome proposals on other topics of interest to the UK cataloguing community.
Formats: We are eager to hear from information professionals and those engaged in metadata research. We also encourage submissions from current and recently graduated LIS students who would like to take this opportunity to present their research to the cataloguing community. We welcome proposals in the following formats:
- Conference papers (30 mins). An opportunity to present how your work, project or research demonstrates the impact of metadata
- Lightning talk (10 mins). Shorter presentations highlighting issues, topics and themes on the impact of metadata. Please consider this if you have something to share but do not have a full conference paper
- Posters. An opportunity to present the impact of metadata in visual form. Time will be included during the conference to allow poster presenters to engage directly with delegates and discuss the contents of their poster. Please consider this if you would prefer to present in a less formal way
Submissions: Proposals should be submitted to Robin Armstrong Viner. Please include your preferred format, a working title and a short outline (no more than 300 words) of your presentation. Proposals are due by 22nd April 2014 and presenters will be notified by 6th May 2014 if their submission is successful. Speakers will be able to claim for travel and accommodation (if required) in line with the CILIP expenses policy. Speakers and lightning-talk presenters wishing to attend the full conference, as well as those intending to travel from outside the UK, are advised to contact Robin Armstrong-Viner before booking or making travel arrangements.
Speakers will have the option of publishing their paper in a future edition of Catalogue and Index, the journal of CIG.