Want to experience RDA: Resource Description and Access without wearing MARC glasses? Want to see how WEMI is supposed to work? Want to put the fun back into cataloguing? Are you ready to RIMMF?
Come to the world’s first RLS-athon – a hackathon for RDA metadata about Robert Louis Stevenson and his works, organised by the Cataloguing & Indexing Group in Scotland (CIGS), Joint Steering Committee for Development of RDA (JSC), and The Marc of Quality (TMQ)
Based on the successful jane-athon formula [ http://rballs.info/topics/p/jane/janeathon.html ] the RLS-athon will bring cataloguers together to use the RDA editor RIMMF to experiment with pure RDA data and to discuss the good and bad points of the RDA instructions. RIMMF (RDA in Many Metadata Formats) is available for free download [ http://www.rdaregistry.info/rimmf/ ]. It comes with comprehensive self-guided web-based tutorials.
RLS-athon details & registration
When: Monday 9 November 2015, 10.30 am – 4.00 pm – (registration 10.00-10.30 am; informal discussion 4.00-5.00 pm)
Where: Edinburgh Centre for Carbon Innovation [ http://edinburghcentre.org/Venue.html ]
Cost: £60.00 (including VAT)
- Free 2-hour RIMMF training webinar in advance of the event
- Free access to RDA Toolkit until the end of the year
- The opportunity to talk to, and be coached by, Deborah Fritz, one of the developers of RIMMF
- The opportunity to talk to members of the Joint Steering Committee for Development of RDA, including the Chair and Secretary.
- Lunch and refreshments
Attendees can expect to:
- Learn more about RDA, the global standard for resource discovery.
- Learn more about the FRBR model and its application to multiple versions of print and digital resources.
- Learn more about the bibliographic complexity of one of the 26 most translated authors in the world.
- RIMMF the RLS r-ball.
- Have fun!
The following Friday, 13 November, is RLS Day [ http://robert-louis-stevenson.org/rls-day/ ], celebrating the anniversary of the author’s birth in Edinburgh in 1850
Before registering, please refer to preparatory work expected for participation in the event – this is highly recommended to fully benefit from attendance – rballs.info/xathons/getmost/
To book your place on the RLS-athon, please supply the following details to CIG Scotland at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your name
- Your institution
- Invoice address (or state that you will pay on the day)
- Any special dietary requirements
- Confirmation that you have read and understand the expectations for participation in the RLS-athon
Refreshments and sandwich lunch are included.
Please note that invoices will be issued after the event. Enquiries regarding purchase orders, payment or invoicing should be directed to the CIGS Treasurer at email@example.com
Registration closes 30th October. Please note that cancellations after this date will be charged at the full price.
Further information will be posted on the RLS-athon web pages at rballs.info/topics/p/rls/rlsathon1/