March 2018, Issue 190: Contemplating cataloguing, classification and indexing research
This issue will focus on the process of doing research in the cataloguing, classification and metadata fields. Sample topics might include, the process of submitting conference proposals, getting your work published, methodologies used for doing cataloguing-related research, useful journals for cataloguing indexing, experiences of doing research projects. So, do you have any thoughts, experiences, or advice to share?
- Could you write about giving your first-ever conference paper or writing your first article?
- How do you prepare your conference papers, and do you have any tips for the cataloguing community?
- What are your go-to-journal in this area and why?
- Which books do you find useful?
- How did you write that all-important cataloguing survey (or, do you have experience writing good surveys and want to share this with the cataloguing community)?
- What do you think about practitioners doing research and/or how did you persuade your manager it was a good thing to do?
- Have you done a cataloguing or classification related LIS dissertation recently and want to share how you went about doing your research?
- What do you think are the important research questions in cataloguing and classification right now (i.e. what would it be useful for us to know as a profession?).
- What are the ethical considerations of doing cataloguing-related research?
Please contact the editors (Karen Pierce: PierceKF@Cardiff.ac.uk and Deborah Lee: Deborah.Lee@courtauld.ac.uk if you would like to write a paper for this issue, and we will send you more information. Please also contact the editors if you have any queries or if you want to offer a paper that does not fit into the theme mentioned. We are always happy to consider papers on topics unrelated to an issue’s theme, especially if it is the result of some research you have conducted, or a project you have been involved in. Papers can be up to 2,000 words, and we are happy to include a selection of images. Please check our guidance for contributors: https://archive.cilip.org.uk/cataloguing-indexing-group/catalogue-index/guidance-contributors. Papers will be due on 28th February.