CIG Scotland is pleased to announce our 5th linked data event, which will take place in Edinburgh on the 12 of September.
This year we are delighted to welcome speakers from the British Library, the Bibliothèque nationale de France, the Universities of Edinburgh and St Andrews, the RDA Steering Committee, and the National Library of Scotland, with other speakers to be confirmed.
Speakers will describe the practice and challenges of implementing linked data in a library and information environment, from local pilots and experiments to national services. The opportunities and challenges that linked data presents to cataloguers, libraries and the wider information landscape will be explored, with speakers describing their organisation’s experience, as well as providing an insight into national metadata strategies.
The seminar will be of interest to professionals involved in cataloguing, metadata, resource discovery, and data interoperability, with an interest in linked data, open data and the semantic web.
- Event Metadata and Linked Data: projects, experiments and services in libraries
- Date Monday 12th September 2016
- Time 10:00-16:00 (registration and refreshments 10:00-10:30)
- Venue Edinburgh Centre for Carbon Innovation, High School Yards, Infirmary Street, Edinburgh EH1 1LZ
- Cost £60 (online booking fees apply)
A buffet lunch will be provided.
The full programme is still to be announced, but confirmed speakers include:
- Alan Danskin, British Library, describing linked data initiatives and BL metadata strategy
- Mélanie Roche, Bibliothèque nationale de France, describing linked data intiatives at the BnF
- Gordon Dunsire, RDA Steering Committee, describing RDA linked data work
- Alasdair MacDonald & Ruby Wilkins, Edinburgh University Library, describing a project to link authorities across local datasets
- Janet Aucock, St Andrews University Library, providing a cataloguer’s linked data perspective
- Alexandra De Pretto, National Library of Scotland, describing experiments with linked data at the national library
- Dr Torsten Reimer, Imperial College London, providing an overview of ORCID and the benefits for global scholarly communication systems
To reserve your place please register via Eventbrite at http://tinyurl.com/cigslod2016
We look forward to seeing you in Edinburgh in September.
The Storify of our recent event on Linked Data: What Cataloguers Need to Know is available here.
This popular event provided an overview of linked data, a way of storing and sharing data that is becoming more significant. Topics covered included:
- Introduction to Linked Data
- Real Linked Data: Publishing and Using It
- Publishing the British National Bibliography as Linked Open Data
- Searching Linked Data with Sparql using the British National Bibliography Data
- What’s Wrong with MARC?
- FRBR UnMARCed: RDA Cataloguing RIMMF (RDA in Many Metadata Formats)
- BIBFRAME and Moving Away from MARC
Our event Linked Data: What Cataloguers Need to Know is now full. If you would like to be added to the waiting list for this event then please email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org and you will be informed if a place becomes available.
On Monday 25th November, the CIG event on Linked Data: what cataloguers need to know took place in Birmingham. It was a very full day and thank you to everyone who came along to find out more. Special thanks also to our speakers: Tom Meehan, Owen Stephens, Corine Deliot and Celine Carty.
Links to all of the presentations from the day have been made available on the CIG web pages. This should be a useful reference to all those who attended on the day as well as being interesting reading for anyone who wished they had been there. Thanks also to all who tweeted from the event. All the enthusiastic attendees meant the whole day had a great buzz about it and we hope it was useful to everyone there.
We are currently assessing the feedback forms, so if you were there on the day and haven’t yet filled in the feedback survey then please do, as we will use that information to help inform and improve future events.
Registration is now closed for the CIGS seminar Linked Open Data: current practice in libraries and archive which is taking place on the 18th of November at the Edinburgh Carbon Innovation Centre.
Thanks to all who have registered, we are looking forward to seeing all of you for what looks set to be an excellent day.
Linked Open Data: current practice in libraries and archives
Places are still available for the CIGS LOD seminar, taking place in Edinburgh on the 18th November – book your place now!
This all day seminar will describe the practicalities of creating and using linked data in library and archival applications. The seminar will be of interest to professionals involved in cataloguing, the management of metadata, resource discovery, and data interoperability, and those with an interest in creating, publishing and using linked data and open data and the development of the semantic web.
Title Linked Open Data: current practice in libraries and archives
Date Monday 18th November 2013
Venue Edinburgh Centre for Carbon Innovation
High School Yards, Edinburgh, EH1 1LT
Cost £55 + 20% vat (£45 + 20% vat for CIG/CIGS members)
Organiser Cataloguing & Indexing Group in Scotland
Full programme available at CIGSLODSeminar2013Programme
How to register
To register for this event, please contact Paul Cunnea, CIGS Secretary, a email@example.com
Please indicate whether you are a CIG/CIGS member, and whether you wish to be invoiced or will pay on the day; include invoicing details as appropriate. Please note that delegates will be invoiced after the event.
Any queries regarding purchase orders or invoicing please contact CIGS Treasurer Ann Cameron at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 11th November 2013
Our Linked Data event is now fully booked. Thanks for all the interest, it looks like it will be a very informative day!